Quality furniture is a major investment. Before throwing out the old and buying something new; take time to find out if the item can be cleaned and restored with these quick questions. The money saved might pay for a great vacation or that big screen television set the family has had their eye on! Better yet, you just might run across beautiful antiques at bargain prices that can turn into family heirlooms with just a little cleaning and attention. Upholstery Cleaning Service Ithaca Here is how to evaluate furniture to decide to save it or scrap it.
1. Is the frame in good condition? Older dining room chairs, sofas, occasional seating and other quality furniture was often designed to be used for a lifetime. If the frame is still in good condition then chances are the item is worth saving.
2. Restore the Finish. Scratches, scrapes and some fine lines often take place with age and regular use leaving furniture looking dull, lifeless and aged. Fortunately, many of these problems can be easily fixed with a little know-how’. Water stains, scratches and even small chips can be repaired so closely they are nearly invisible.
3. Re-upholstery. Once you have confirmed that the frame and finish are solid the next step is to evaluate the need for upholstery. Obviously if the item has been stripped to the bare frame then it needs to be re-upholstered but otherwise, simple repairs might be all that is needed. Search for a reputable leather repair specialist or others that work with upholstery to obtain an estimate on repairing tears, holes, burns and other common upholstery problems.
4. Can it be cleaned? Often the only problem with quality furniture is an accumulation of dirt. If the leather or upholstery is in good condition and the frame is solid, consider contacting an Ithaca upholstery cleaning service that specializes in working with furniture. It is often possible to save hundreds of dollars on the cost of re-upholstery by having the items cleaned instead. Leather can also be cleaned and even color corrected due to fading or wear patterns.
5. The Nose Knows. One of the biggest reasons many people get rid of perfectly good furniture is due to odor. Humidity, spills, smoking and stains can create a nasty combination of unpleasant odors.